4.8 out of 5.0 based on 99 reviews
Up to 4 instant quotes from RICS Registered Surveyors
Rod Stradling MRICS is a qualified Chartered Surveyor with over 20 years of experience specialising in the Valuation and Survey of residential property across Devon.
I provide a personal service geared to you the client and I am always on hand to advise and help in all aspects of residential property matters.
Rod Stradling MRICS - A Devon Surveyor
Rod Stradling MRICS
Average service quality
Average value for money
Value for money
xiao on 2 Feb 2016
No further comments
N/A on 20 Dec 2015
Very competent, comprehensive and professional service. Mr Stradling kept us informed of the process all the way through, including a large quantity of site photos for reference. A very competitive price, but most importantly a comfortable and easy process to go through, backed up by quality service. Well done. Would I use again?, yes of course, first choice.
Baz on 5 Apr 2015
Mr Stradling spent some considerable time surveying the property and then immediately after the survey I met him at the property and he spent a further two hours going through the points that he wished to draw my attention to. I found that being there and listening to his explanations/ comments first hand most useful it also enabled me to proceed with the purchase without having to wait for his written report. The numerous photos that he took at the property, were quickly sent to me and although did not include any description nevertheless told their own story which matched the verbal report that he had given me. The electronic version of the written report reached me in good time and the hard copy arrived in the post a few days later. Should this purchase fall through and I were to seek another property in the area I would definitely approach Rod to conduct any further surveys for me.
Mike on 25 Feb 2015
The company provided an excellent choice of Surveyors, costs included .
Peter K on 25 Nov 2014
Rod is very helpful and conscientious. Takes his role very seriously, suggesting an alternative property to the one he had reported on critically.
Lottie on 8 Nov 2014
Immaculate presentation and attention to detail. Polite and prompt.
D&JW on 25 Oct 2014
A mixed review.
On the positive side:
- Cheaper than the other surveyors we got quotes from, not least because there was no VAT to pay
- Mr Stradling spent over an hour walking us round the property after he had carried out the survey discussing the issues he had identified
- The day after carrying out the survey he sent us the photographs he had taken – although using Google+ was perhaps not the best way of doing so as we were not Google+ users
- He rang us up when he had completed the report (but before sending it to us) to discuss his conclusions further
- The report was detailed
On the negative side:
- It was a total of just over five weeks from when we asked him to carry out the survey to when we received the written report – three weeks until the survey itself and another two to get the final report – which was too long
- Some of the verbal advice he gave when walking us round the property was not all that clear – we were hoping for a clear steer as to whether issues were a serious problem or not but don't feel that we got that
- Although we asked (twice) for his terms of engagement at the outset, he did not send them (or details of how to pay his fee) until he was about to send us the final report, at which point he realised that he hadn't done so
- The report contained some confusing inconsistencies – some issues which were highlighted as needing urgent repair in the body of the report were only listed under maintenance in the summary, while there were some items in the summary which did not match the main report. We were therefore left unsure how serious these issues were
- We asked, by email, for clarification on those points in the report – 10 days later we have not had any response.
My clients are my priority and I always try and ensure that their best interests are served.
This instruction came at a very busy time and was heavily booked. Normally I try to undertake a survey within 1 week and do not book so far ahead. Managing my clients expectation is something I take seriously and will always endeavor to do. I will learn from this and continue to provide good service to my clients.
Reporting on older period properties is difficult and has to be balanced. In the case of this property for example with regard to external cracking through cement render on stone/cob walls. Whilst a repair of the cracked render may deal with the cosmetics it will not resolve the main issue of inappropriate render and only complete removal of the cement render and replacement with lime render and lime-wash paint will provide the definitive answer. Obviously the cost implications of a repair to a crack as opposed to stripping and renewal will be hugely different. As a purchaser you will be a potential seller and will have to have all the answers at some point in the future.
I have been in contact with my clients who informed me that they decided not to proceed further with this property due to the issues raised within my report both legal and relating to the construction.
I can be contacted by phone and email and if I am not around at the time I will return your call when I am available.
Disappointed on 8 Oct 2014
Communications were slow, some verbal feedback contradicted written feedback, took two weeks to obtain an electronic copy, three weeks to get a hard copy, this has great knock on effect on exchange/completion dates. Pictures provided need annotation if they are to be useful
I am unable to release my report unless I have received signed terms of engagement returned and in this instance it took some considerable time.
The report was emailed the same day the terms were received.
I typically take between 100 and 300 photographs which I email my clients to help discuss the property as well as showing specific defects. I do not annotate the photographs due to time constraints. This has always been well received and proven useful to my clients.
In this case I spent over an hour with my client on the day of the survey and subsequently 2 long telephone conversations. I always try to do my best for my clients.
S J Kirby on 30 Sep 2014
Rod Stradling was excellent. He carried out a thorough review of the property and towards the end of the survey he spent approx 40 minutes explaining to me what he had uncovered and what this meant from a risk and potential impact point of view. The survey uncovered some significant problems with the property and Rod indicated a rough estimate of what the likely cost of repair/rectification. A couple of follow up meetings with local builders confirmed that Rod's estimates had pretty accurate. I have never had a surveyor take the time to explain their findings at the time of the survey. This provided real insight and gave me the opportunity to check my understanding. Rod provided an excellent service and was great value for money.
Philbo on 22 Sep 2014
Only that we would deal with Rod again.
Get surveyors quotes
14B Chequer Street
Get quotes for:
Cookies for this website are disabled. Press OK to active them.
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.
You can use this tool to change your cookie settings. Otherwise, we’ll assume you’re OK to continue.
Some of the cookies we use are essential for the site to work.
We also use some non-essential cookies to collect information for making reports and to help us improve the site.
To control third party cookies, you can also adjust your browser settings.
Cookies for this website are disabled. Press the below button to active them.