1. Home
  2. Conveyancing
  3. Questions and Answers
  4. How Do I Register a Property in My Name?

How Do I Register a Property in My Name?

  1. Bobby from Nottingham
  2. Legal questions and answers


I just bought a property for the first time and I ran into a small problem. I have completed the full payment and I received the contracts but I’m not sure how to proceed with registering the property in my name with the local authorities. How do I do this? What paperwork do I need?


Once you have purchased the property from the seller you must complete and send a number of forms as follows:

a) form TR1 if you are transferring a whole registered title
b) form TP1 if you are transferring part of a registered title

If the land has already been registered with the Land Registry complete form TR1. If the land has not already been registered you must complete FR1 and a DL. These forms can be obtained from the Land Registry website.

You also need to include the following:

  • information so Land Registry can find the land on the Ordnance Survey map - for example, a plan of where the land is

  • the original deeds and documents of title

  • the original and a copy of the lease if you are applying to register a leasehold land or property

  • results of your searches from the Land Charges Department – you can use form K15 for these searches

It will be harder for you to register your land or property for the first time if any of the original deeds are missing. Contact Land Registry for advice if this is the case. 

When applying to register your land or property, you might also need to send:

  • form ID1 (proof of identity)

  • form DI if you are declaring ‘overriding interests’

  • a Land Transaction Return certificate (SDLT5) from HMRC to confirm that Stamp Duty has been paid or your transaction is  exempt. The Certificate can be obtained by completing a Land Transaction Return (SDLT1) and paying the stamp duty payable.

  • a cheque or postal order for the land registration fee

Costs of registering land or property

You'll have to pay a fee to register any land or property. The amount depends on:

  • how much your land or property is worth

  • whether your registration is compulsory or voluntary

If you register your land or property voluntarily for the first time, you could receive a discount of 25 per cent on the registration fee. Contact Land Registry for the current fees. Where to send your Land Registry forms
The Land Registry office you need to apply to might not be the one that is closest to you. Use Land Registry’s office finder to find out which office to send your forms to.

Once the property has become registered in your name (this is formally done, usually by your solicitor, with your local land registry) ask your solicitor or obtain from your local land registry an Office Copy Entry which should record your name(s) as the Proprietors (owners) of the address/property you have purchased.

Once you have moved into your property it is important to draw up a list of organisations which you must contact to inform them that you are the new owner(s).

Matthew Robinson

Matthew Robinson

Robinson's Solicitors

Ask a question

Related questions & answers

Ready to get quotes?

Compare conveyancing fees from up to 4 solicitors

Get conveyancing quotes

We've already helped over 2,882,911 movers

12,975 user reviews

Excellent service so far - thank you Ellie at PM Property Lawyers.

Saz on 06/05/2024

As featured in