1. Home
  2. Surveyors
  3. Questions and Answers
  4. Damp in 16th century property - who do we go to?

Damp in 16th century property - who do we go to?

  1. Anna from Alton
  2. 25 June 2015
  3. Surveying Advice questions and answers


We have lived in this 16th century townhouse for five years. I am aware that there are damp problems particularly on the front wall which directly accesses the road, without a curb. I have had a damp survey done and the resulting readings are very high. I am considering asking a surveyor to investigate the problem as it seems to have accelerated, but as there is a possibility of water/salt penetration from the road and/or from a damaged pipe underneath it, to whom do I go for the next stage? Do we take up floorboards in advance of a surveyors visit?


Historic buildings need specialist advice. It is unclear if your damp survey was by an independent surveyor or a contractor pitching for work. Irrespective, bearing in mind the particular nature of your property, you should consult a Chartered Surveyor who specialises in both dampness and historic buildings.
The Chartered Surveyor you consult will brief you prior to inspection as to any site-preparations he recommends. Your surveyor will then impartially diagnose any issues related to the damp and recommend remedial works sympathetic to the structure of your building.

reallymoving comment:

For more information about damp and damp surveys when buying a house, take a look at our guide to damp surveys.


John Lewis

John Lewis

Anthony J Lewis & Co. Chartered Surveyors

Ask a question

Ready to get quotes?

Up to 4 instant quotes from RICS Registered Surveyors

Get surveyor quotes

We've already helped over 2,882,905 movers

12,826 user reviews

Very professional and approachable, answered all my questions without hesitation and was honest and friendly.

RB on 03/05/2023

As featured in