Avoid winter damage to your property
MAP Surveyors in London have provided their top tips on how to prevent damage to your home caused by wintry weather.
Whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot, we’ll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not.
This rhyme is never more relevant than in winter, which can bring with it a whole range of weather patterns that can affect the condition of your property. MAP Surveyors has compiled some top tips on how to protect your home from damage during a winter spell, avoiding drastic repairs thus saving you time and money.
Look after your pipework
- Have your gutters cleared regularly to get rid of any nasties that could stop the water flowing away properly, and check the downpipes are in good condition, as any leaks could affect the brickwork.
- Install insulation sleeves around exterior pipes to help prevent them from freezing and bursting.
- Have your heating system and chimneys serviced at least once a year to prevent damage caused by fire and smoke.
Check your brickwork
- Get cracks in the brickwork fixed as soon as possible, so that water doesn’t have a chance to freeze in the gap and push the brickwork further apart as it expands.
- Keep air bricks clear to allow air to flow freely beneath the property. If these become blocked, the timbers can become damp and start to rot; causing serious problems, so clear any leaves that may collect around these in autumn.
- Prune your trees before the onset of winter to reduce the risk of them falling over or losing branches once weakened by wintry weather.
- Get large trees checked if they're near your home, to make sure that the growing roots won’t damage your home’s foundations.
Protect against flooding
These helpful tips were provided by MAP Surveyors, Surveyors in London recommended by reallymoving. MAP Surveyors can provide Building Surveys and HomeBuyer Reports in London and the surrounding areas.
Updated March 2020
Ready to get quotes?
Up to 4 instant quotes from RICS Registered Surveyors
We've already helped over 2,650,010 movers
Had my survey done within a week of being contacted and report back a couple of days later.
Berta on 12/06/2022