1. Home
  2. Surveyors
  3. Questions and Answers
  4. Chartered Surveyor or Structural Engineer

Chartered Surveyor or Structural Engineer

  1. Sam Padayachy from Croydon
  2. Surveying Advice questions and answers


Should I employ another surveyor following the results of the first survey?


External ground level must be below the height of the internal ground floor timber floor joists, ideally at least 100 mm below.

Furthermore, the external sub-floor vents must be retained and kept flowing - both to front and rear of building, and to flank walls if present. If these are 'missing' or blocked, it is essential they are re-opened, otherwise ground moisture below the timber floors of the house cannot evaporate and the ground floor will rot.

Reduction of external ground level can be achieved by digging a small trench around the outside of the building - these are sometimes shingle-filled depending on how this fits with other landscaping.

Neither of these tasks require a damp or timber specialist and can be performed by a general builder / handyman.

Lastly, it would be interesting to know of any negative consequences reported by the surveyor of the damp you mention in passing  e.g. has the degree and extent of dampness been quantified, and is it actually significant i.e. is the timber ground floor firm, is there any decorative damage? or are the surveyor observations merely precautionary.

John Lewis

John Lewis

Anthony J Lewis & Co. Chartered Surveyors

Ask a question

Related questions & answers

Ready to get quotes?

Up to 4 instant quotes from RICS Registered Surveyors

Get surveyor quotes

We've already helped over 2,882,910 movers

12,972 user reviews

The company arranged a speedy appointment. The survey was thorough and excellent in quality. The report was written and sent very quickly. The whole process was easy and done very professionally. We were completely happy with the company and the quality of the report. I cannot recommend more highly.

Mary J on 06/02/2024

As featured in