1. Home
  2. Surveyors
  3. Questions and Answers
  4. What Type of Survey Should I Choose?

What Type of Survey Should I Choose?

  1. mary halliwell from colwyn bay
  2. Surveying Advice questions and answers


I am buying a 2 bed ground floor flat in a converted 1930s house. Do I need a Building Survey or just a HomeBuyers Report?


The type of house survey you choose will depend on a number of factors so it is a good idea to speak to your Chartered Surveyor and discuss your options. They will be able to advise on which survey would suit your property best, especially if it is an older property or has been previously extended or renovated.

If your property is an older or listed building, it is strongly recommended that you should choose a Building Survey as this is the most comprehensive and detailed evaluation of a property’s condition and construction. The survey will identify any defects, causes, the urgency of repair, maintenance options and may also include an indication of the cost to repair, therefore it is an extremely valuable document to obtain.

If you are still unsure and need further information on the type of house survey you need, take a look at our guide on what type of survey to choose.

The team at

The team at


Ask a question

Ready to get quotes?

Up to 4 instant quotes from RICS Registered Surveyors

Get surveyor quotes

We've already helped over 2,882,911 movers

12,975 user reviews

No complaints at all

TeeJee on 07/06/2024

As featured in