1. Home
  2. Surveyors
  3. Advice
  4. Subsidence Cracks – what to do if you think you have subsidence

Subsidence Cracks – what to do if you think you have subsidence

Need some answers about subsidence? Here are the facts on what it is, how it presents and who to contact if you think your property has subsidence.

Subsidence Cracks – what to do if you think you have subsidence

What is subsidence?

Subsidence is the downward movement of a surface, causing the ground beneath the foundations of a building to become unstable.

Common reasons for subsidence are:

  • The shrinking of soil beneath a property

  • Previous mining activity on the site

  • Ground vibrations

Soil shrinkage can be caused by a number of factors, such as water leaking into the soil under the property, as this can wash away the soil from the foundations. This is most common in soils with a high sand or gravel content.

Clay soils are particularly vulnerable to shrinking, and as the soil shrinks, it pulls the foundations which may result in structural movement. Clay soil shrinkage can also occur following a dry spell of weather.

Tree roots surrounding a property can significantly influence the likelihood of subsidence occurring – as they can cause the shrinkage or reduction of the soil beneath the foundations by extracting water. Tree roots removing moisture from the soil is the most common reason for subsidence in properties.

Evidence of subsidence

There are many noticeable signs on the inside and outside of a house which will signal you towards the existence of subsidence.

The usual indications of subsidence are:

  • Cracks in the walls, ceilings and outside brickwork

  • Expanding of existing cracks

  • Cracks appearing after a long phase of dry weather

  • Rippling of wallpaper that isn’t caused by damp

  • Sticking of doors and windows

It is essential to seek advice as soon as you notice signs of subsidence, as the sooner it is identified and diagnosed the easier it will be to rectify. Solving subsidence can be a lengthy process, with many cases having to be monitored for up to 12 months, making it even more important to get help as soon as possible.

If you see any signs of subsidence in your house, or the house you are intending to buy, get in touch with a Chartered Surveyor for expert assistance.


The most common treatments for subsidence include:

  • Pruning or removal of trees and bushes

  • Repair work to damaged drains and pipes

  • Underpinning the foundations

Although it is often the treatment most associated with subsidence, underpinning the foundations to increase their depth and prevent further movement is only recommended as a last resort, due to its costly and lengthy procedure.

The most appropriate treatment option will depend on the cause of the subsidence. Your surveyor will advise you on the best course of treatment for your property.

As the roots of trees and bushes extracting moisture from the soil is the most frequent cause of subsidence, the pruning or removal of the responsible plants should resolve the problem. Your Chartered Surveyor will inspect the plants and trees surrounding the property and should be able to recommend a specialist that can advise whether the plant ought to be pruned or completed removed.

If the subsidence is caused by soil being washed away by water leaking from drains, repair work to the damaged pipework may satisfactorily stabilise the building.

It should be noted that subsidence is usually successfully treated, and, if considered reasonable by your insurance company, the costs for identifying and treating it may be covered by your buildings insurance – so be sure to contact a professional if you are concerned about subsidence in your property.

Legal Documentation

If the property you are intending to purchase has been repaired for subsidence in the past, your conveyancer should attain the necessary documentation to verify that the repairs were conducted to the standards set out by the Building Research Establishment.

There are two main documents required should the property have a history of subsidence.

  • A formal Completion Certificate, which is issued by the council if underpinning had been carried out.

  • A Certificate of Structural Adequacy, which is produced by Building Surveyor if the repairs were undertaken as an insurance claim.

Both the formal Completion Certificate and Certificate of Structural Adequacy should be available from the owner of the property, so if your surveyor reports of any previous subsidence repair work make sure your conveyancing solicitor obtains the relevant documentation.

House Surveys

If you are buying a property you suspect may have subsidence both the HomeBuyer Report and the Building Survey will give an indication of whether there is a risk of subsidence in the property. The valuation survey conducted by your lender will not identify if the property is at risk of subsidence, so it is vital that you commission an independent surveyor to inspect the property.

It is always important to get a house survey on any property you intend to buy, as it will ensure that the biggest purchase you’re likely to make is in a safe living condition. By comparing quotes from Chartered Surveyors you can get a house survey at a cost-effective price.

Compare free quotes from Chartered Surveyors in your local area


If you have any concerns about subsidence in your home, be sure to contact a Chartered Surveyor and they will be able to tell you if there is subsidence and what the probable cause of it is.


Related articles

Ready to get quotes?

We've already helped over 2,706,500 movers

11,241 user reviews

As a first time buyer and completely new to the home buying process, it was really easy to get a selection of Chartered Surveyors and make my selection

John, June 2018

As featured in