1. Home
  2. Surveyors
  3. Questions and Answers
  4. Which Survey for Safe House Foundations?

Which Survey for Safe House Foundations?

  1. Mr Grant from Stoke
  2. Surveying Advice questions and answers


I noticed there is a big drop along the RT border only 3 feet away from the wall of the house I am buying. This is because the neighbouring newly built house is a 2-3 story house and had to start at lower elevation/level in order to match the height of the existing houses. How much land should the neighbour leave legally if he wanted dig down at the border? What type of survey and surveyor should I employ to assure me if my house foundation is safe and the drop will not damage my house?


Structural alterations on or close to boundaries are governed by the Party Wall Act. This is designed to ensure any works do not threaten the neighbour. However, once the works are complete, the Act is no longer in effect.

There is no specific amount of land that needs to be left – the neighbour can build up to the boundary so longer as they comply with consents and the Party Wall Act.

A residential oriented chartered surveyor or structural engineer can further inspect and advise – simply explain the brief to them in advance so they can confirm it is within their skill-set.

John Lewis

John Lewis

Anthony J Lewis & Co. Chartered Surveyors

Ask a question

Ready to get quotes?

Up to 4 instant quotes from RICS Registered Surveyors

Get surveyor quotes

We've already helped over 2,882,911 movers

12,975 user reviews

Excellent company that keep in touch and did a thorough survey with an equally thorough report

Sophie on 06/05/2024

As featured in