4.8 out of 5.0 based on 103 reviews
Up to 4 instant quotes from RICS Registered Surveyors
Rod Stradling MRICS is a qualified Chartered Surveyor with over 20 years of experience specialising in the Valuation and Survey of residential property across Devon.
I provide a personal service geared to you the client and I am always on hand to advise and help in all aspects of residential property matters.
Rod Stradling MRICS - A Devon Surveyor
Rod Stradling MRICS
Average service quality
Average value for money
Value for money
D&JW on 25 Oct 2014
A mixed review.
On the positive side:
- Cheaper than the other surveyors we got quotes from, not least because there was no VAT to pay
- Mr Stradling spent over an hour walking us round the property after he had carried out the survey discussing the issues he had identified
- The day after carrying out the survey he sent us the photographs he had taken – although using Google+ was perhaps not the best way of doing so as we were not Google+ users
- He rang us up when he had completed the report (but before sending it to us) to discuss his conclusions further
- The report was detailed
On the negative side:
- It was a total of just over five weeks from when we asked him to carry out the survey to when we received the written report – three weeks until the survey itself and another two to get the final report – which was too long
- Some of the verbal advice he gave when walking us round the property was not all that clear – we were hoping for a clear steer as to whether issues were a serious problem or not but don't feel that we got that
- Although we asked (twice) for his terms of engagement at the outset, he did not send them (or details of how to pay his fee) until he was about to send us the final report, at which point he realised that he hadn't done so
- The report contained some confusing inconsistencies – some issues which were highlighted as needing urgent repair in the body of the report were only listed under maintenance in the summary, while there were some items in the summary which did not match the main report. We were therefore left unsure how serious these issues were
- We asked, by email, for clarification on those points in the report – 10 days later we have not had any response.
My clients are my priority and I always try and ensure that their best interests are served.
This instruction came at a very busy time and was heavily booked. Normally I try to undertake a survey within 1 week and do not book so far ahead. Managing my clients expectation is something I take seriously and will always endeavor to do. I will learn from this and continue to provide good service to my clients.
Reporting on older period properties is difficult and has to be balanced. In the case of this property for example with regard to external cracking through cement render on stone/cob walls. Whilst a repair of the cracked render may deal with the cosmetics it will not resolve the main issue of inappropriate render and only complete removal of the cement render and replacement with lime render and lime-wash paint will provide the definitive answer. Obviously the cost implications of a repair to a crack as opposed to stripping and renewal will be hugely different. As a purchaser you will be a potential seller and will have to have all the answers at some point in the future.
I have been in contact with my clients who informed me that they decided not to proceed further with this property due to the issues raised within my report both legal and relating to the construction.
I can be contacted by phone and email and if I am not around at the time I will return your call when I am available.
Disappointed on 8 Oct 2014
Communications were slow, some verbal feedback contradicted written feedback, took two weeks to obtain an electronic copy, three weeks to get a hard copy, this has great knock on effect on exchange/completion dates. Pictures provided need annotation if they are to be useful
I am unable to release my report unless I have received signed terms of engagement returned and in this instance it took some considerable time.
The report was emailed the same day the terms were received.
I typically take between 100 and 300 photographs which I email my clients to help discuss the property as well as showing specific defects. I do not annotate the photographs due to time constraints. This has always been well received and proven useful to my clients.
In this case I spent over an hour with my client on the day of the survey and subsequently 2 long telephone conversations. I always try to do my best for my clients.
S J Kirby on 30 Sep 2014
Rod Stradling was excellent. He carried out a thorough review of the property and towards the end of the survey he spent approx 40 minutes explaining to me what he had uncovered and what this meant from a risk and potential impact point of view. The survey uncovered some significant problems with the property and Rod indicated a rough estimate of what the likely cost of repair/rectification. A couple of follow up meetings with local builders confirmed that Rod's estimates had pretty accurate. I have never had a surveyor take the time to explain their findings at the time of the survey. This provided real insight and gave me the opportunity to check my understanding. Rod provided an excellent service and was great value for money.
Philbo on 22 Sep 2014
Only that we would deal with Rod again.
AMS on 21 Sep 2014
Very helpful in conversation and easy to work with. Recommended.
Susie on 2 Sep 2014
Mr Stradling was very helpful to me on the phone and by email. Indeed, he raised some concerns about the property I was planning to buy and on further enquiry with my solicitor I discovered some serious issues that put me off buying it. Mr Stradling did not charge me for his advice, even though he may have saved me a lot of financial problems further down the line.
When I do eventually find a property to buy, I will ask Mr Stradling to do the survey, as he is clearly more interested in giving sound advice to his clients than he is in taking their money for the sake of it.
JMurphy on 11 Aug 2014
Excellent service. Rod was happy to talk about his report and sent 172 photos to support every aspect of his report
Rose on 4 Aug 2014
Excellent, friendly & efficient service, will definitely use again. Thank you.
barbara on 11 Jun 2014
Very reliable, emails answered very quickly
issy on 19 Apr 2014
No further comments
Get surveyors quotes
14B Chequer Street
Get quotes for:
Cookies for this website are disabled. Press OK to active them.
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.
You can use this tool to change your cookie settings. Otherwise, we’ll assume you’re OK to continue.
Some of the cookies we use are essential for the site to work.
We also use some non-essential cookies to collect information for making reports and to help us improve the site.
To control third party cookies, you can also adjust your browser settings.
Cookies for this website are disabled. Press the below button to active them.