1. Home
  2. Surveyors
  3. Questions and Answers
  4. I think I have damp - who do I call?

I think I have damp - who do I call?

  1. Bernie McDermott from Kent
  2. Surveying Advice questions and answers


My home was built in 1890, and recently one of the front walls has developed a large watermark. There may have been some evidence of damp before, but this seems to have followed some extreme weather recently. Do I call a Chartered Surveyor for something like this, or go straight to a Damp Proofing firm? Thank you very much for your help. Kind regards, Bernie


Hi Bernie,
It depends on whether you're planning to sell or refurbish the property. A Chartered Surveyor will give you an overall assessment of the building - they will probably be able to identify how much of a problem the damp is, whether it is causing structural issues and make a recommendation, as well as looking at the rest of the building. This is particulary important if you are planning to sell the property some time soon, or want an assessment on the rest of your property, especially as it is older.
However, if you know that you have damp in one area, it may be best to talk directly to a specialist about removing it. 
Best of luck,
the reallymoving team

The team at

The team at


Ask a question

Related questions & answers

Ready to get quotes?

Up to 4 instant quotes from RICS Registered Surveyors

Get surveyor quotes

We've already helped over 2,882,909 movers

12,942 user reviews

Brilliant Service from the first phone call to booking the survey to reports. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Jill on 14/01/2024

As featured in